And off we go!

Kia Ora!

There has been so much going on this past week that I’m going to split it up into a few different posts. We have just started week three of classes, and the differences between school here and back home have been pretty interesting to me. I think the biggest difference that I’ve noticed is how relaxed and laid-back everyone, including the lecturers, are about classes and whether or not you actually attend. Now yes I know that not all professors in the states take attendance for classes or anything, but here no one does! The lectures have set up their classes so that all of the notes are online and if a student needed to not attend class one day then they wouldn’t be missing anything at all. That being said, it makes it really difficult to find the motivation to actually go and sit in some of my lectures, philosophy especially! Another huge difference is how okay the lectures are with students overbooking a time slot. I know heaps of people who have two classes happening at the same time, but rather than dropping one of them are able to take both and just pick and choose which classes to attend which day. In a way I wish UMW was more like that because it would help with getting into all the classes that we need, but at the same time it is just really weird to me.

When it comes to exams and essays we also have a lot less going on here at Lincoln that what I have been used to at UMW. Back home most courses will have several exams spread out through the semester as well as maybe an essay or two. Here however in the classes I am taking I only have a final exam, which is worth a ton of my final grade, and a big project or paper as well. I don’t think the weight of that final exam has quite hit me yet because it is still so far away, but preparing for it will defiantly be nerve racking when the time comes. Which leads to another difference, finals week. Back home we finish lectures and then basically start right up with one week filled to the brim with exams. Here however, there is a two week gap between the end of lectures and the actual finals, and the finals are spread out over a two week period. That gives us students a really good chance to actually sit down and throughly prepare. At first I thought that was a bit unnecessary, but once I learned about how much weight each exam had it all made plenty of sense.

One thing I do really enjoy here is how approachable the lectures are. It is only week three and I have already met with 3 of my lectures for coffee on campus to discuss a project or essay I’m working on, or sometimes just to chat in general about what’s been happening around New Zealand as well as back in the states. By putting themselves on the same level as us students the lectures have created an environment in which open communication and asking for help and clarification is key.

Lincoln in general though is great! I am absolutely in love with this school and all of the people involved with it. The campus is decently spread out because of the vineyards, orchards, and farm fields needed for classes, and the student body is about 3,500 students. The campus is probably about a 10 minute walk outside of a small town, and everyone here seems to know everyone else. The tight nit community has been wonderful and I really feel welcome and at home here. Since Lincoln is a very hands-on uni and likes to get the students out in the field they are studying, there are built in field trip days throughout the semester. At first I was a little bummed out about not being in any papers (courses) with field trips, but some mates and I decided to make our own trips!

This past Wednesday was the first official field trip day, so bright and early at 7am we loaded up two cars and decided to drive about 2 hours north to a really cool town called Kiakoura.

Lauren and Nick are ready to hit the road

And off we go!

And off we go!

One thing that I have noticed after exploring around New Zealand a bit is that while the final destination is always awesome, the drive there is spectacular in and of itself!

P7220136

More countryside

More countryside

and more

and more

There are just mountains everywhere

There are just mountains everywhere

P7220158

On our way to Kiakoura we decided to take a bit of a pit stop at really pretty site called Gore Bay. When we finally reached our destination though the day was spent playing with wild seals, eating delicious fish ‘n chips, and jumping into the freezing cold ocean! All and All I gotta say, these field trip days are wonderful, classes are great, and Lincoln has been an absolutely wonderful fit for my personality and goals while I’m here in New Zealand!

P7220104

We made it!

We made it!

It was kinda smug out

It was kinda smug out

Fish 'n chips are just delicious

Fish ‘n chips are just delicious

I FOUND A SEAL

I FOUND A SEAL

so cute!

so cute!

For now that’s all that I really have to say about Lincoln and how my classes are going. In another few hours or so I’ll have another post up about the weekend of all weekends! As always, thanks for reading!

Cheers,

Alex

Submit a Comment